Craig Winkler, M.D.
“My goal as an orthopedic surgeon is to make each patient and their family members feel as they are part of the decision-making team. I take time to explain every treatment option and rely heavily on patient and family member input to select the best treatment plan”
- Total joint replacement
- Partial knee
- Total knee
- Revision total knee
- Direct anterior and posterior total hip
- Revision total hip
- Hip fractures
- Femur, tibia, and ankle fractures
- Humerus, forearm, and wrist fractures
Computer Navigation for Total Knee Replacement – Brainlab
Robotic Total Hip and Knee Replacement
Mako robotic total hip and knee replacement uses a CT scan and computer navigation to make precise bone cuts and place implants exactly where they need to be based on specific patient anatomy and ligamentous tension. The robot and software allow the surgeon to have live feedback and assure the hip and knee are perfectly balanced to allow for quicker recovery and better pain control postoperatively.
Outpatient Total Hip and Knee Replacement
Dr. Winkler is one of the few surgeons in North Houston performing outpatient hip and knee replacement. Recent studies have shown that patients who are healthy enough to undergo outpatient total joint replacement have better long-term outcomes and faster recovery versus inpatient joint replacement.
Regenerative medicine is the process of creating living, functional tissues to repair or replace tissue or organ function that is lost due to age, disease, damage, or congenital defects. Dr. Winkler is currently using Signature Biologics human umbilical cord tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells to treat arthritis, cartilage damage, and chronic tendonitis. The procedure is done in the clinic and takes the same amount of time as a traditional steroid injection. The stem cells are injected into the affected area with a small needle.
- Texas A&M University, College Station, TX – B.A. in Biomedical Sciences
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX – Medical Doctorate
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX – Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
- Mississippi Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery, Jackson, MS – Adult Reconstruction Fellowship
- Board Certified
Doctor in the Community
- Dr. Winkler and his wife Taylor live in The Woodlands where they grew up. He has two young daughters, Olivia and Ava. In his spare time, he enjoys golfing, being outdoors, and watching college and professional football. He and his family attend St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church.